Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, December 09, 2020

I was a teenage cinema usher

My duties were to transfer ice to the candy bar from the ice machine in the storeroom, replace empty bags of post-mix syrup, add the ingredients to the popcorn maker (kernels, yellow gunk, orange powder) and start it popping, tear the tickets of peeps entering the cinema, check they weren't bringing in drinks bought elsewhere (the owners were fanatical about this) and send 'em to buy paper cups from us if they were, direct latecomers to seats with my trusty torch, mop the lavs, vacuum the foyer/stairs, help sell candy or movie merch if the sales staff were super busy, make up our own brand of lolly bags and choc tops (those stingy owners again), do the lunch/dinner run, do the post-office run, give the cinema a quick tidy between screenings, give it a proper clean last thing at night, also the projection booth, wash and wipe up in the kitchen (the popcorn maker was a PAIN), take the trash out to the giant bin behind the shopping centre, change the marquee display on a weekly basis, and whatever else I was asked to do - from carrying film canisters to sorting piles of posters to giving my opinion on a new trailer. 

One projectionist was nice enough to play a Rush tape through the whiz-bang stereo system for me while I cleaned the cinema. He immediately received an intercom call from an older lady in the box office requesting a return to our usual muzak.

As soon as pressing tasks were done, I was permitted to watch the rest of the current flick from my usher seat. For that reason, the longer the picture, the better. "Dances With Wolves" ran for weeks at our joint and afforded me a tremendous bludge. Three hours plus extras! Cheers, Kev!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home