Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, December 04, 2021

Gainful elections

This morning, we voted in a local-government election. Fingers crossed the present regime will be ousted. They appear to be in politics mainly for the perks. At the polling place, plague precautions were in force: compulsory masks, phone or written check-in, hand sanitiser, a new pen to use and keep ("78% recycled"). The weakest part was the social-distancing enforcement. Could have been a lot worse.

Friends of mine opted not to vote because too many people in their suburb refuse to wear masks. They know this from walking their dog, shopping, etc. Presumably those jerks would also flout the safety measures when voting. My pals are just gonna accept the fine.

Have I ever mentioned that I applied to be an election helper? You know, directing traffic or ruling a line through names in the roll or making sure punters stick their ballot papers in the correct boxes. Heard nothing back... until I moved cities, then they said I was eligible. Typical. Didn't really mind as I had a full-time job I dug. 

You've got to respect today's helpers, with the possible virus-transmission risk - especially in areas like my friends' suburb. Unlike certain politicians, they deserve to be paid well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home