Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, June 26, 2022

Missed turns

We all wonder about the roads not taken, especially when it comes to employment and shifting cities.

Back in '99, I received an offer to teach English in (rural) Japan around the same time as an offer of a trial on a men's magazine in Sydney. I went with Option B and spent the next 18 years or so in publishing.

Funnily enough, one of my sisters ended up going down the ESL route not long after that and has lived in the Land Of The Rising Sun ever since.

There was a period where I was looking for a radical change from mags and I considered teaching in South Korea. I didn't purse it beyond some guidebook reading and conversational language learning.

I'm probably too old to become any sort of professional teacher now, which I feel is a shame because a little wisdom has finally penetrated my skull. Admittedly, I have less energy, but I also know how to conserve it. 

I wonder... We all do, don't we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home