Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

WWE SummerSlam [spoilers]

DL, CM and I went thirds in the latest WWE pay-per-view, "SummerSlam". The video was passed to me today and as soon as I got home, I made a stack of sandwiches, poured a big glass of soft drink and sat down to watch.

My match-by-match comments:

* Rey Mysterio vs Chavo Guerrero - A fast-paced, skilful tussle that fell flat when Vickie Guerrero (widow of Eddie, who was Chavo's uncle and Rey's friend) tried to break it up. I don't know what was more annoying, her screams or the crowd's booing at the interruption.
Winner: Chavo

* Sabu vs Big Show - I've never been a big fan of the Show, but he actually did well in this ECW-branded bout. Having Sabu use extreme measures to combat a much larger opponent made sense in story terms. Unfortunately, the "suicidal, homicidal, genocidal, death-defying maniac" messed up a crucial table move, spoiling what should have been an exciting finish.
Winner: Big Show

* Randy Orton vs Hulk Hogan - Delivered exactly what it should have, ie. a cocky youngster humbled by a wily veteran. The question has to be asked, though, how long Hogan's charisma can continue carrying his matches. Much as I love the guy for helping make wrestling what it is, his repertoire was always limited and it's even more so now.
Winner: Hulkster

* Ric Flair vs Mick Foley - My respect for these two legends was increased by the way they bumped and bled in this "I quit" contest. The timing, execution and little improvised touches were spot-on. Is Mick really finished? Or will the fact he only cried uncle to save Melina from the barbed-wire baseball bat be used as a loophole? I'm going with option (b) - in wrestling, as in superhero comics, no-one dies forever.
Winner: Flair

* King Booker vs Batista - This was OK. I don't care for either grappler, so I didn't get that involved. Booker's new regal persona is as ridiculous as his attempt at an upper-class English accent. Having said that, Batista could do with an angle to separate him from all the other massively muscled dudes with short spiky hair and tribal tattoos.
Winner: Batista by DQ (after interference from Queen Sharmell)

* Degeneration X vs The McMahons - Best match on the card after Flair/Foley...but still disappointing. Yes, it was fun watching DX battle through the Spirit Squad, Mr Kennedy, William Regal, Fit Finlay, Big Show and Umaga to get to Vince and Shane. Ditto seeing the McMahons copy a bunch of famous tag-team finishing moves. However, one of the main reasons I got this PPV was to see Shane O-Mac perform one of his show-stopping manoeuvres. Call me overly demanding but attempting a Coast To Coast and getting caught with the Sweet Chin Music wasn't enough. (For the unfamiliar, Shane tried to jump across the ring onto the downed Triple H. He was knocked out of the air halfway by a kick from Shawn Michaels.)
Winner: Degeneration X

* John Cena vs Edge - Decent. Both men showed their talent and willingness to make their opponent look good. Shame about the lame brass knuckles ending. Double shame about Lita's boob job, which I hadn't seen before - implants seem to be almost a requirement for WWE Divas these days. In my opinion, she looked better without them.
Winner: Edge

Overall, I'd give "SummerSlam" a 3/5. Regardless of the faults discussed, there was plenty of variety and I didn't leave my chair for the duration...although that might have had something to do with a belly full of sandwiches and soft drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home