Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Monday, June 14, 2010

Go, "Diablo", go!

Despite being aware of it since '96 and receiving 3000 recommendations to play the damn thing (1500 of them from the fanatical MB), I'd never laid a mouse pointer on Blizzard Entertainment's famous action RPG "Diablo" until this afternoon.

Electronics Boutique had the "Battle Chest" - comprising the game, its sequel, plus an expansion module and guidebook for part two - as a manager's special for $35, and yours in unfashionable ultra-lateness caved in to curiosity.

It installed in a jiffy and the next thing I knew, night had fallen and my eyes and stomach were starting to complain. I reluctantly saved and quit, my rogue Dora (the dungeon explorer) having attained level 13 and some kick-arse kit.

After slaying a monster that was butchering villagers "Hellraiser" style, smiting the fiends responsible for poisoning the water supply and, er, finding the missing tavern sign, she's currently on a quest for a legendary suit of armour.

"Diablo" reminds me fondly of Microillusions' admittedly much simpler "The Faery Tale Adventure" (1987), which BP and I conquered together on the Amiga in the period when I was meant to be studying for my HSC exams.

I don't regret a stolen minute of that - nor am I sorry I purchased this collection, which is already as comfortable as an old pair of ughs. Now, if you'll excuse me, Dora is six floors deep in the neighbourhood crypt, with an itchy bow finger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home