Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Monday, May 24, 2010

How I rolled

Saturday's rollerderby show at the Hordern Pavilion brought back pleasant memories of going rollerskating as an eight- or nine-year-old in Raymond Terrace. As I recall, the rink was underneath the local footy grandstand. It may have only been open one day per week. It may also have been seasonal. Most of the boys I hung out with were older and I was envious of how much meaner-looking their rented skates were than the ones in my size. As soon as I'd clumsily laced my boots, though, my sole concern was getting around the track as quickly as possible, albeit with the occasional assist from the rail. The folks in charge played music and I fancy a large proportion was disco. That wouldn't have bothered me as I'd seen and bloody loved "Xanadu". What was annoying was when the announcer would order us kids to move to the sides so the teenagers could have a game of "Red Rover". From their perspective, it was probably the high point of the day - no more dodging wobbly eight- or nine-year-olds with a habit of veering towards the railing. Meanwhile, we longed to join in. What I don't remember is why I stopped going. Was the rink closed down? Did my friends suddenly declare rollerskating uncool? Or was I younger than I've calculated here, and yet to be swept up by the BMX wave (or watch "Xanadu")? I don't even really know how many times I went...but I have to believe it was magic. Hahahaha. Sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home