Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Falling star, burning moon

Like many Aussies, I'm gradually changing over to energy-efficient light globes. When a traditional bulb blows, I replace it with the new kind. I've grown accustomed to the way they take a minute to "power up", and I don't mind the extra expense when they last longer and save on greenhouse gases. I just wish they weren't so chunky. Whatever you do, don't accidentally let one drop eight feet onto a ceramic coffee table because you think it's clicked into a worse-for-wear light fitting. Besides the dustpan'n'brush work, there's a terrible sense of waste.

At 8.30pm this evening, I ventured outside to view the total lunar eclipse. I couldn't be bothered changing from my PJs, so I just threw on a black jacket, black beanie and trainers. (I'm sure I looked like a cross between Arthur Dent and a cat burglar...except nowhere near as cool as that sounds.) It took me a while to spot the moon, which was only visible through the gap between two tallish buildings. There'd been suggestions it could appear blood red. To my eye, it was a pale orange. Clouds drifted across the face like smoke masking a distant fire.

1 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've been upgrading to energy efficient light globes too. I noticed the power up effect at my parents place in Australia, but I've not seen it here, they just come on immediately.

I like the fact that they remain cool even after hours of use, especially nice for a bedside lamp.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home