Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, September 01, 2007

As full as the last bus

I'd been wanting to visit local restaurant Lebanon And Beyond since Conan The Barbarian was a boy. Finally ticked that box tonight.

Cramped quarters, a bustling, extended-family atmosphere and the tucker just kept coming. I'd barely warmed the chair when the Irish waitress (she must be the "Beyond" part) presented me with complimentary olives, whole chillies and peanuts.

Half the nibblies were accounted for by the time my mixed platter materialised: heapings of hummus and tabbouli, lettuce, fried onion, fried cauliflower, a falafel, a lady finger* and four lamb shish kebabs.

The side of green beans coulda-shoulda been a main on its own - the vegies were served hot in a thick, spicy tomato sauce.

Did I mention the basket of Lebanese bread? And sparkling mineral water to drink 'cos they weren't licenced.

It's rarer than a Black Lotus Magic card for me to leave anything behind at meals except a gleaming plate and crumpled napkin, but on this occasion, some chillies, nuts and bread remained.

As the winsome lass cleared off my table, I grudgingly made that most awful of admissions: "I'm afraid I don't have room for dessert."


*Not an actual lady finger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home