Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Monday, July 10, 2006

I won the World Cup!

Prior to the FIFA World Cup Germany 2006, my workmates CM, DL, SC and I organised a sweep in which we were randomly allocated one team from each of the eight groups (good old four-sided dice). We chipped in $5 a head to go to the winner. My seemingly unimpressive line-up was: Poland, Trinidad & Tobago, Holland, Angola, Italy, Japan, Togo and Tunisia. Only two of those - Holland and Italy - made it out of the group stage, with the Dutch losing their next game in the round of 16. But, after limping past Australia with a milked penalty in extra time, Italy found form and defeated the Ukraine and Germany to reach the final against France. As we all know, they won it 5-3 on penalties after the sides were locked at 1-1. The consolation for Socceroos supporters is we can now say we were "knocked out by eventual winners Italy". The added consolation for me is I just scored two free lunches.

2 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

It's nice to read something both intersting and different from most other blogs.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Addster said...

Thanks for the compliment, Amanda. I'll keep trying to be me :-) I checked out your blog and it looks much nicer than mine - very spiritual stuff. Once upon a time, I wrote poetry, too, but I'm not sure If I'm game enough to publish any here (I'd have to find where I left it first).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home